The aim of the AHRC Residential Design Fellowships: Challenges of the Future 2020 is to create a better understanding of the role of design research in five challenging areas:
- AI & Data – Dr Joseph Lindley and Professor Paul Coulton, Imagination, Lancaster University
- Future of Mobility – Dr Jiayu Wu, Royal College of Art
- Place – Professor Tom Inns, University of Strathclyde
- Public Policy – Dr Anna Whicher, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Public Services – Dr Matt Malpass and Dr Lara Salinas, University of the Arts London
and the economic and social impact of Design research.
Each Fellow has compiled a literature, capacity and capability review of their theme, assessing the UK university-led design research community’s current contribution to it, the relevant skills pipeline (or lack thereof), and identified recommendations for future action and opportunities for funding programmes. Each report reviews and collates relevant existing research and evidence on their research topic. The reports will be used by the AHRC in planning for future investments and are disseminated here to academic, business, government and other stakeholders.